Saturday, March 13, 2010

What should I be playing?

When I was in my early 20's I went through a period of angst, in which I really worried about the music I was listening to. Was it cool enough? Was I missing something that everybody else knew about? I got scared reading NME - there was so much going on, and I was there happily listening to the stuff I was listening to fives years ago.
Was I still relevant?


I have recently been gripped by the same fear when I think about role playing.
I've been playing White Wolf games pretty much exclusively since 1998. I've dabbled in D&D (which I do understand is popular with ver kidz, and makes me feel old because i'm sure I don't quite get it), Ars Magica (which is now, as far as I can tell, a game for aging medieval scholars/nerds) and games other people have kindly allowed me to play.


For awhile I thought I was indulging in a dying hobby, but some recent research has highlighted to me that the world has turned, and left me behind. People have moved on, and are no longer interested in the games i'm interested in.


This scares me, and makes me feel like an aging spinster at a 70's disco.


What should I be playing?

No comments:

Post a Comment