Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ideas I thought of first / Fungal zombies

Every now and then, everybody thinks of an original idea way in advance of popular culture.
I am happy to say that I have thought of something cool before a bona fide gaming genius.
Fungal zombies! It's an alternate zombie origin I thought of whilst running a zombie holocaust game for the Bolton gaming group. I didn't use it, but I still got my friend Eli (Dr Wood to you), a microbiologist, to dumb down exactly how a Fungal zombie may work.

Anyways, here's where I beat Robin Laws to the idea...

http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=4133

EDIT following comments that for some I can't reply to...
Ah, but technically these are animated corpses, and not living creatures infected (?) by a fungus.
The zombie ant fungus dictates the behaviour of the living ant. I suggest a Fungal strain that modifies the behaviour of humanoids and causes them to become violent, have a lust for nutrient rich fresh moist flesh and finally migrate to a tall building and spores.
It also leaves room for Resident Evil esque mutations.
Hooray.

2 comments:

  1. I believe Grand Design LRP had a player race called "Corpse Moss" which was effectively a fungal/vegetable life form animating a dead humanoid in order to make interkingdom contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AD&D First Edition - Fiend Folio had a fungus/plant animated zombie.
    The artwork was awful.

    ReplyDelete